You’ve built a plan to deliver a new modern application interface to better serve your business. Due diligence has been performed, ROI calculated, and technology and business leadership teams both agree that this enhancement is well overdue.
In a pre-cloud world, the next steps were fairly trivial: select a front-end programming framework, get to work and let the team know when you’re done. The technology decisions beyond the UI were largely ignored — database, operating system, security, disaster recovery, etc. — since those were already in place and essentially transparent to the end-user.
However, by not considering all layers of an application, several critical concerns may still exist even after the new interface has been completed.
- The already high cost to maintain the application
- The current performance issues that restricted new features from being added and the strain this new interface will put on it
- The complexity to integrate with internal and external systems
- The long implementation time it took to add new trivial features
Now, in 2019, we have options to mitigate these concerns and modernize applications using cloud-native technologies. It all starts with performing due diligence, often called an Application Modernization (AM) Assessment. An AM assessment will help you create a clear personalized strategy and ROI analysis of modernizing your applications and help provide a better understanding of how the cloud, and its vast resources, can help you better serve your business and improve your ability to scale your applications in the near future.
At the completion of this assessment, normally a 2 to 4 week exercise, you will determine if modernizing your applications using a cloud strategy is an activity worth pursuing. Here are some questions an AM assessment can answer:
- Can migrating your applications to the cloud:
- Reduce their overall TCO?
- Significantly increase their performance and stability?
- Significantly decrease the time it takes to implement new features?
- Provide real-time scalability to handle increased workloads?
Through this assessment, you will uncover deeper insights into the benefits of moving your applications to the cloud, as well as a clear application roadmap that will guide you on next steps.